Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Just some thoughts

For the past five days I have watched many news stories on the shootings in Newton. I have heard politicians discuss gun control and laws more than I have heard about the poor victims and their families. I have seen people post many different things on Facebook about what they think about guns and mental illness. From all of that, I decided to post my thoughts on the situation.

The shooting in Newton was a sad, horrible tragedy. One that probably could have been prevented, but ultimately wasn't. Evil works that way unfortunately. No one is sure what the back story is on Adam Lanza. He and his mother are both dead, and I haven't heard his father speak about him. That may or may not change, and honestly it doesn't change what happened. Who Adam Lanza was won't prevent further evil in this world even if it might give insight to this particular tragedy.

I stand behind the right to own guns. I don't currently own any, but I have in the past. I love the way a gun feels in my hands. I love the rush of shooting at targets. I love that, if I so choose, I can do this any time I want. I am an expert shot on the M-16, and I'm not bad with a handgun either. My husband does not like guns. He too is an expert shot on the M-16, but he has no love for guns. Because we have five children, we have no guns in our home. I am not opposed to teaching them the proper way to handle and shoot, but we have chosen not to at this time.

I am appalled by the number of people out there who show such contempt for those who are diagnosed with a mental illness. I have seen people write about how they all need to be institutionalized. I have seen people write that the system is broken. I have seen people write that those with mental illness have no moral compass (this one in particular got me going). I have seen a whole lot of bashing and very little compassion. It makes me wonder if any of these people have ever known anyone with a mental illness; a parent, sibling, friend or child. Have they never loved someone like this? My guess would be no....based solely on their lack of compassion. 

I have a child with a diagnosed mental illness. I gave birth to her, fed her, and rocked her to sleep at night as an infant. I have taught her right from wrong, manners, sarcasm and how to laugh at herself when needed. I have sat with her in a hospital waiting for admission on the scariest day of my life while she calmly told the doctor she didn't want to live. I sat in her therapist's office and heard the words bi-polar and almost passed out. Through it ALL I have loved her fiercely, with all that I am. When I read what people think of those with mental illness I want to smack them! My child would give you the clothes off her back even it was all she owned. She loves Jesus and wants others to know who He is. Her compassion for others astounds me. There have been hospital stays, she has to take medication for stability, and she has a temper, but that doesn't define her....her heart does. Do I think that she should someday be allowed to own a gun, I can't answer that. There are to many things to take into consideration. It is not cut and dry like the media would like for us to believe. 

As for the system, there are options. It isn't broken in the way people would like to believe. There are resources out there for those who are willing to accept them. What's broken is the way we think, as a whole. There is such a stigma on mental illness that even when parents can see an issue they won't seek care. Heaven forbid someone find out that they, or someone they love has a mental disorder. I'm not saying that I wear my daughter's illness as a badge of pride, I'm saying that I stuffed my own pride and got her help. She takes daily meds, goes to therapy twice a month and has special accommodations in school. It works for everyone involved. It helps her, and it helps those who interact with her. Since her diagnosis we have had two different insurances. BOTH have paid for her care with very little out of pocket expense for us. My responsibility as a parent is to teach her the importance of therapy and medication so she carries it through adulthood. Educating her on the importance will help her be better maintained once she is grown.

All of this to say that the phrases "mental illness" and "gun violence" are not synonymous. They are not interchangeable. One does not mean the same as the other. To assume that they are is idiotic. This is not the time to discuss gun legislation or mental health issues though. It is not the time to debate over more or less guns, or to decide how to ensure those who need help get it. It is the time to lift up the families of the 26 victims in prayer. They don't need our indignation or our excuses or our suppositions.....they need prayer. There is evil in this world. It will remain until Jesus returns. We cannot stop it with our laws and indignation...only He can stop it...when He chooses too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment