Thursday, October 4, 2012

October is...

Breast Cancer Awareness month. It's a month of teaching women how to do self exams and when to seek medical care. There are fundraising walks and the NFL wears pink shoes. I love it. Having lost my dear friend to this horrible disease, I fully support all that is done in trying to not only make women aware, but also in research for a cure.

October is also Domestic Violence Awareness month. Did you know? It isn't talked about as much as breast cancer, but it kills 3 women every day. Every 9 seconds a woman is assaulted by a boyfriend or spouse. Up to 10 million children witness this every year. Those are some sad statistics. And to me, they are very personal.

I spent 4 years in an abusive relationship. I think I knew before the wedding that it would be that way, but I was sure I could change him. I had known him, at that point, for half my life. There was no question of love because we did love each other. I knew his background. I knew he was raised in less than ideal conditions.....and I was going to rescue him. It wasn't long after our honeymoon that I realized I was in over my head, but I still thought I could rescue him.

Over those 4 years I left and returned a few times, had 2 beautiful daughters, and finally realized you can't rescue someone who doesn't want to be rescued. I still can't talk about much of what happened during those years. Eleven years later, I still occasionally have nightmares.

Domestic violence is a cause that is worth fighting. I long to help others who are in abusive relationships and help them realize they are not alone and they can get out. It isn't easy, but it is possible.

I will wear pink this month in support for breast cancer awareness....and I will also wear purple in support of domestic violence awareness. I will donate to both causes because both are dear to me. I will educate my sons and daughters about both causes because I believe it will change the future. And, I will pray for all those affected because ultimately God is in control.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you are in a perfect place to reach women in your new home who have no one to turn to. :)

    ReplyDelete